Whistleblower Law Blog
R. Scott Oswald, Managing Principal of The Employment Law Group®, Selected to Serve as Panelist in Qui Tam Litigation Seminar
R. Scott Oswald, managing principal of The Employment Law Group® law firm will serve as a panelist in an upcoming presentation to the Northern Virginia Chapter of the Federal Bar Association on March 7, 2012.
The topic of the Continuing Legal Education (CLE) seminar is “Blowing the Whistle in 2012: New Developments in Qui Tam Litigation” and will focus on a discussion of recent developments in qui tam litigation including:
- New law on the false certification theory;
- The first-to-file bar;
- The public disclosure bar;
- Other elements and defenses for False Claims Act (FCA) cases in the Eastern District of Virginia
The seminar will include both relators’ counsel and defense attorneys who will discuss FCA liability following amendments and regulatory changes in recent years. In addition, the talk will include a discussion on practical considerations in qui tam relator suits including:
- What relators’ attorneys consider in choosing potential claims;
- The factors used by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in deciding whether to intervene;
- Litigation of FCA retaliation claims along with pending relator lawsuits
The seminar is being held in at the Westin in Alexandria, VA from 12:00-2:30pm. Registration will remain open until February 29, 2012. The Northern VA Chapter of the Federal Bar Association is offering a discount on registration fees to government attorneys to encourage participation
The Employment Law Group® law firm has an extensive nationwide whistleblower practice representing employees who have been victims of retaliation.